Summa Academy - Education that enlivens, enlightens, enriches and awakens.
Academic excellence is only the beginning…
Education should also cultivate:
Joy in learning
Self-assurance in the ability to succeed
Only by including all of these can children truly succeed.
Located in downtown Portland, Summa Academy is an independent school for children ages 4-14 and their families, featuring:
- An 11:1 student-to-teacher ratio
- Personal learning plans for academic excellence
- Multi-age classrooms
- Portfolio assessments
- Project based learning
- World renowned parent education program
- An administration with an expertise in human development
Together we create an environment where students, parents, and teachers grow together. Join us and experience education as it ought to be.
2510 SW 1st Ave., Portland OR 97201 (map)
“I never knew the educational experience of our dreams existed. Finding Summa Academy was like finding home!”-Linda Diteman, mom to Sam (9)
Summa Academy’s curriculum is based on a humanistic approach to child development called Natural Learning Relationships. This proprietary understanding has been the basis of our work for 30 years. We relate to each student as an individual, teaching to his or her strengths and creating opportunities for development in areas of his or her greatest need.
Education is not effective if it does not nurture the physical, social, emotional, spiritual, AND intellectual development of students. That is why we maintain these 4 goals of education (see below), while many other private schools focus primarily on the first goal (Academics).
“I am so excited for the new school and know that it will be an extremely important addition to our educational community.” –Elizabeth Nye, Girls Inc.
Our experience shows that successful classrooms are centered on:
- Having trust in the student’s eagerness to learn
- Creating and supporting emotional safety
- Appreciating different learning styles with awareness of the student’s strengths and weaknesses
- Creating healthy and effective communication based on mutual respect
- Valuing all relationships—parent-teacher-student—with communication, timing, and respect
For 30 years Summa has been serving children, families, and professionals empowering individuals to reach their full potential. Click here to request more information.
For news and updates join us on Facebook.